1. To be eligible to apply to this course, students must have passed Class 12 or equivalent in a relevant discipline from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 50% marks.
2. Admission to D Pharma courses is either entrance or merit-based. The most popular entrance tests are GPAT, JEE Pharmacy etc.
3. The average tuition fee charged by colleges or universities for this course in India lies anywhere between INR 10,000 and 1,00,000 per annum. The fee varies as per the type of the institution. Check top D Pharma colleges here.
4. After completing this course, students will be able to find work in various private and public sectors as a Pharmacist, Scientific Officer, Quality Analyst, Production Executive, Medical Transcriptionist etc. Also check top D Pharma Jobs here.
5. Average initial salary offered to a Pharmacy diploma holder ranges somewhere between INR 2,00,000 and 5,00,000 per annum, which may increase with the number of years of work experience and knowledge in the field
6. On completion of this course, students can pursue higher studies and advanced academic exploration through B Pharma and other Diploma courses. This course essentially provides a solid basis for further studies and related prospects.
About Diploma in Pharmacy
Diploma in Pharmacy is a 2 years long career-oriented, entry-level diploma course. Students who wish to pursue a long term career in the medical field of pharmaceutical sciences, starting in entry-level positions are suitable for this course.
This program is designed to prepare candidates to work under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist in hospitals, community pharmacies, and other pharmaceutical-related fields. Candidates can also pursue MBA Pharmaceutical Management after this course, though they would need to complete their bachelors first.
Why D Pharmacy
D.Pharmacy as a course has its own set of advantages as well as opportunities that provides an edge over other job scopes and roles. Some of the basic reasons for pursue D.Pharm courses are,
1. Social Responsibility: Pharmacists play an important role in the society as they define the health care sector. They contribute towards the health and welfare of the people of a society
2. Career Options: Pharmacists can work in organizations such as Hospitals, Nursing homes, Colleges and the medical industry as a whole
3. Career Growth: Healthcare is an ever growing and non static career. Candidates in healthcare career have a vast opportunity in terms of growth and development
4. Flexibility: Since it is a 24*7 job, one can opt from working for either a day shift or a night shift.
Who Should do an D Pharmacy
1. Students who wish to make a career in the healthcare sector are most suitable and preferred in a course such as D.Pharmacy.
2. For pursuing D.Pharmacy students must have cleared their +2 in Science stream with a minimum 50% aggregate.
3. Candidates with Research skills, Analytical skills are most suitable for D.Pharmacy course.
D.Pharm Course Highlights
The highlights of the D.Pharm course are as follows:
Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharma) Eligibility Criteria
Check out the eligibility for D.Pharm course in detail below:
1. Candidate must have passed 10+2 or equivalent to be eligible for D.Pharm admissions.
2. A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
D.Pharma Admission Process:
1. Admission to Diploma in Pharmacy is done on the basis of entrance exams conducted by universities that offer this course or through state-level diploma entrance tests.
2. Candidates must have passed class 12 exams with science in order to take admission in this programme.
3. Some institutes also offer direct admissions to these courses i.e. without conducting entrance or state level exams.
Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharma) Syllabus
Diploma in Pharmacy or D.Pharma. is a diploma course that has been designed to help candidates to work under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist in hospitals, community pharmacies, and other related pharmaceutical fields. It is a basic level certificate program with basic level education about Pharmacy.
It is a 2-year diploma course that enables students to gain adequate knowledge about pharmacy and related disciplines. D Pharma covers subjects such as Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Metrology, Human Anatomy, Nutritional Health, Communicable diseases etc. The books that are required are also mentioned below.
D.Pharmacy Syllabus: Course Structure
Diploma in Pharmacy course is designed for students with the necessary skills and grasping academic knowledge for entry-level positions in retail pharmacies as well as pharmaceutical companies. D.Pharma. The course essentially provides an overview of the theory and various principles and practices involved in the science of pharmacy.
Subjects of Study in this course include Pharmaceutics, Biochemistry, Clinical Pathology, Human Anatomy, Clinical Pharmacy, and Drug Store Business Management amongst many others.
Pharmaceutics – 1
Biochemistry and Clinical Pathology
Human Anatomy and Physiology
Pharmaceutical Chemistry – 1
Health Education and Community Pharmacy
Pharmaceutics – 2
Pharmacology and Toxicology
Drug Store and Business Management
Hospital and Clinical Pharmacy
Pharmaceutical Chemistry – 2
D.Pharmacy Syllabus: Books
The books that are very important D.Pharmacy are mentioned below:
Name of the books
S.B. Gokhale, A.P. Purohit, Dr. C.K. Kokate
S.B. Gokhale, A.P. Purohit, Dr. C.K. Kokate
Dr. V.M. Kulkarni, Dr. K.G. Bothara
Basic Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics
Dr. S.K. Naik
Compilation of Selected Herbal Drugs
D.G. Baheti, M.G. Kalaskar
Pharmaceutical Inorganic Chemistry
Dr. K.G. Bothara
Fundamentals of Pharmacology
Dr. K.G. Bothara, Dr. K.K. Bothara
The syllabus, subjects and books are mentioned above. The books are written by professionals and are very helpful for students studying pharmacy.
Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharma) Career Options and Job Prospects
Although D.Pharma is a diploma programme, there are some good job opportunities that candidates can seek after completing this course. Jobs are available at pharmacies of government and private hospitals, private pharmacy stores, pharmaceutical companies, etc. Job opportunities are better if candidates pursue B.Pharma after the D.Pharma programme. Following are some job opportunities and employment roles that students can consider after D.Pharma:
Community health centres
Private drug stores
Salary of a fresher after pursuing D.Pharma programme can vary from Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 1.5 lakh. Salary in this field are highly dependent on the qualification of the candidate as well as experience. After completing 2 to 3 years in this industry, candidates can expect a salary of up to Rs. 3.5 lakh. After pursuing D.Pharma followed by B.Pharma, candidates can back packages up to Rs. 5 lakh or more depending upon experience.